Why do I need to renew your Medi-Cal?
Each year you must renew your or your family’s Medi-Cal eligibility. The county will conduct a review to determine if you and/or your family members continue to meet Medi-Cal eligibility requirements. This review process can also be called an annual redetermination.
The Medi-Cal office will try to renew your or your family’s Medi-Cal eligibility electronically. If the information cannot be verified, you will receive a Medi-Cal Redetermination yellow packet in the mail.
How can I renew my Medi-Cal to ensure I do not lose coverage?
- Did your address, phone number, or email address change in the past three years? Report any contact information changes to your county.
- Sign up for an account at BenefitsCal.com – video instructions here. Then you will get email and text alerts when your renewal is due. You can also complete your renewal online. Watch a how-to video here.
- Sign up for free renewal information and reminders at: KeepMediCalCoverage.org / MantengaSuMediCal.org.
- Check your mail for a Medi-Cal renewal packet arriving in a new yellow envelope! Return the info. promptly so the county has plenty of time to process it.
- Watch your phone, email and mail for any other requests from your county. Respond quickly with what they need to process your renewal.
- Ask your county to accept your renewal information by phone. New rules allow them to accept your “sworn statement” and income information by phone, if you cannot turn in paperwork in time. Find your county’s phone number here.
- Did you receive a Notice of Action that your Medi-Cal will end? To keep your coverage, request a Fair Hearing before the end of the month. Medi-Cal must stay active until your hearing is resolved.
- If you have SSI – you can get and keep your Medi-Cal by qualifying for SSI and completing your SSI redetermination. Report updated contact information to the Social Security Administration by calling (800) 772-1213 or visiting your local office.
Need help completing your annual renewal? Or having trouble contacting your county? Contact the Health Consumer Alliance for a free, confidential consultation at 888‑804‑3536 (TTY 877‑735‑2929)
Do not lose your coverage – update your contact information by calling your local county office or online at KeepMediCalCoverage.org today!